This class will be offered in a hybrid format, with some classes taking place live or through livestream and others online at the pace of the student.
A nine-session survey of the Old Testament examining the three major sections of the Hebrew Bible – Law, Prophets and Writings – understanding each book from the context of the big story of Scripture. Students will discover that the theological center is Jesus and that this is presented in the primary themes of covenant and kingdom.
Start date: October 5 – December 7, 2020
- Module 1 – Introduction – Bible as One Story, Covenant and Kingdom, Jesus; Overview of Old Testament (Live or Livestream)
- Module 2 – Genesis and Exodus
- Module 3 – Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy
- Module 4 – Joshua, Judges, Ruth
- Module 5 – 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles (Live or Livestream)
- Module 6 – Ezra, Esther and Nehemiah
- Module 7 – Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Lamentations
- Module 8 – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel
- Module 9 – The Twelve (Live or Livestream)
- Class notes (to be provided)
Class textbook (to be purchased before start date): How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour by Gordon D. Fee, Douglas Stuart